As an Aerodynamics Engineer, you will perform numerical analyses to support the development of the first commercial, vertical take-off, long-range aircraft, the TriFan 600. You will be involved in all stages of development - from basic design and optimization to simulations of complex configurations. You will gain an airplane-level perspective of the vehicle requirements and aerodynamic performance. You will be relied upon as a computational fluid dynamics expert, influencing the development of the aircraft.
You will develop and utilize a variety of computational tools and techniques to reach solutions to complex problems with competing requirements. You’ll be an integral part of ensuring the safety, performance, and efficiency of current and future XTI Aircraft products. You are familiar with the fundamentals of fixed-wing and rotorcraft aerodynamics. You have an in-depth understanding of computational fluid dynamics, mesh generation and are comfortable developing your own evaluation tools.
- Design and analyze the aerodynamic properties of the TriFan 600
- Numerical aerodynamic database development
- Resourceful and effective analyses of complex tasks
- Document and report your decisions, findings and results
- Aircraft performance analysis, simulation development and cross team support
- Validation and verification work and associated documentation
- Support subscale and full-scale flight testing with predictions and data analysis
- Prepare, conduct and analyze challenging computation by using state of the art methods
- Understand and apply 14 CFR FAR part 23 certification requirements
- Apply understanding of flight physics to advise airplane design decisions
- Coordinate with a variety of internal and external customers
- Respond to a variety of technical challenges
- Experience with 14 CFR part 23 certification
- Basic knowledge of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards.
- Experience with a variety of CFD – tools and meshing software
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required; Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering preferred
- 5 years minimum of hands-on experience
- Great communication skills
- Experience working on a diverse team to solve complex problems
- Ability to work extended hours as required
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills / Experience):
- 5 years of related engineering experience with an Aeronautical/Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering Degree
- Knowledge of aerodynamic principles and analysis tools such as Open VSP, Fun3D, OpenFOAM, etc.
- CFD experience modeling rotorcraft or other types of rotor or propeller powered VTOL vehicles
- Competence with Microsoft 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills / Experience):
- 8 years of related engineering experience
- Strong programming skills using at least one modern programming language (e.g., Python)
- Proficiency with Fun3D and Pointwise
- Ability to deal with dynamic technical environments and requirements
- Excellent technical writing skills
- Master’s degree or PhD in related field
Typical Education / Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g., Bachelor) and typically 6 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g., Master). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Type: Full-time Employee